A group of students are set to continue their occupation at The University of Nottingham. The group, calling themselves ‘Nottingham Students Against Cuts and Fees’, are demanding that The University stand against the raising of the cap on top up fees and defend their students against cuts to higher education.
A member of University Management has asked that the students leave but, according to Sofia Mason, a PHD student, the students are resolute:
‘We are committed to occupying the university because we believe that the time has come to stand up against the utterly unfair assault on higher education being perpetrated by the coalition government. We are encouraging lectures and seminars to continue in the room we are occupying so that we do not disrupt students’ educations. ’
The Group of 70 or so students have stated that they will continue to occupy The Great Hall of The Trent Building on University Park Campus until The University act on their demands. More and more people are joining their group and they have had many messages of support from lecturers, trade unions and members of the public.
One of the group added: ‘We are in the fight of our lives here. Not just to defend current students’ right to accessible higher education but to fight tooth and nail for the future generations of this country who are going to be hit hardest by the scandalous cuts and fee rises that they will face.’
The Demands of the occupiers are:
1. We demand that the University of Nottingham lobby the Russell Group and the government and issue a statement condemning all cuts to higher education, the EMA and the rise in tuition fees.
2. We demand that the University of Nottingham implement a complete open book policy in regards to existing budget constraints
3. We demand that the University of Nottingham ensure no redundancies for teaching, research or support staff.
4. Ensure that no victimization or repercussions for anyone participating in the occupation.
5. Allow free access in and out of the building
Contact: Matthew (on 30/11) 07745706480 or Afua (from 1st onwards) 0786457153
Originally posted on http://nsafc.wordpress.com/